Apuntes de inglés/English notes

Blog destinado a recopilar el máximo de apuntes de inglés e intentar ordenarlos de la manera más útil posible...

Blog destined to compile as much English notes and trying to order by the most useful way possible...

By Raül Montejano Gutiérrez; Twitter @raulmontejanogu

sábado, 10 de marzo de 2012

Reported speech: Statements and questions


Direct statements Reported statements
I like shopping. She said (that) she liked shopping.
I'm going tomorrow. He told her he was going the next day.
I'll always love you. He said he would always love me.
I passed the exam! She told him she had passed the exam.
I've forgotten my keys. He said he had forgotten his keys.
I can't come. She said she couldn't come.
I may be late. He said she might be late.
I must go. She said she had to go.


Tenses usually change like this:
present - past
will - would
past simple / present perfect - past perfect
Some modal verbs change:
can - could
may - might
must - had to


Direct questions Reported questions
Are you married? She asked him if he was married.
Did she phone? He asked me whether she had phoned.
What's your name? I asked him what his name was.
Where do you live? They asked me where I lived.


!!!!!
Must - had to ----------- Mustn't - mustn't

You usually have to change the pronouns.
I like... --- She said she like...
Using that after said and told is optional.
If you report what someone said on a different day or in a different place, some time and place words change
tomorrow - the next day
here - there
this - that

!!!!!
After said don't use a person or object pronoun.
He said he was tired. NOT He said me...
After told you must use a person or pronoun.
He told me he was tired. NOT He told he was...

When you report a question, the tenses change as in reported statements.
When a question begins with a verb (not a question word), add if (or whether).
You also have to change the word order to subject + verb, and not use do/did.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario