Apuntes de inglés/English notes

Blog destinado a recopilar el máximo de apuntes de inglés e intentar ordenarlos de la manera más útil posible...

Blog destined to compile as much English notes and trying to order by the most useful way possible...

By Raül Montejano Gutiérrez; Twitter @raulmontejanogu

domingo, 2 de septiembre de 2012

Past necessity

Needn't have + past participle
This structure is used to talk about an action which was unnecessary. It indicates that the subject performed the action.
I needn't have preparated so much food for the party; everyone had eaten before they came. (I prepared lots of food but I realized afterwards that it wasn't necessary)

Didn't need to + infinitive
This structure is used to talk about an action which was unnecessary. It usually indicates that the subject did not perform the action.
I didn't need to prepare very much food for the party; everyone said they would bring something to eat. (I didn't prepare lots of food as I knew it wasn't necessary)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario