Apuntes de inglés/English notes

Blog destinado a recopilar el máximo de apuntes de inglés e intentar ordenarlos de la manera más útil posible...

Blog destined to compile as much English notes and trying to order by the most useful way possible...

By Raül Montejano Gutiérrez; Twitter @raulmontejanogu

sábado, 26 de mayo de 2012

Causative have: "to have something done"

The structure have+object+past participle shows that the action is done for the subject by someone else and not by the subject. The subject causes the action to be done. Compare the following:
I cut my hair. (= I did myself)
I had my hair cut. (= someone did it for me)
All tenses of have are possible, ex.:
We've just had our washing machine repaired.
I'm having my eyes tested tomorrow.

The same structure can also be used for events (usually unpleasant) which are outside of the speaker's control.
John had his car stolen last week.

Get can be used instead of have in this structure. It is slightly more informal.
Where did you get your photos developed?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario